Tamarindo Days, Tamarindo Nights
YOUR 4-DAY COSTA RICA ADVENTURE
Welcome to paradise! Arrive at international airport in Liberia for pickup by shuttle and two-hour ride to Tamarindo, the vibrant capital of northwest Costa Rica’s sun-drenched Gold Coast. Check in at the elegant beachfront Mar Rey Hotel in the center of town and venture out on foot for dinner, drinks and the city’s famous night life.
Booze cruise! Board the 80-foot schooner Antares, built in Oyster Bay, N.Y., in 1947 and operated by a family of sailors led by Hermes and Candy Quijada of Costa Rica and South Africa. Enjoy an open bar, succulent food, live entertainment, snorkeling and sunset views, return at dark and stumble home.
Extreme adventure! Shuttle two hours to Rincón de la Vieja National Park and have a week’s worth of adventure in a day, with horseback riding, whitewater tubing, buffet lunch, zip-lining, rappelling, rock climbing, hot springs and mud bath, and shuttle back to Tamarindo.
Catch dinner! Take a ride on Captain Hugo Zumbao’s 25-foot Valle de Esquipulas II to some choice ocean spots where you can catch sailfish, roosterfish, marlin, mahi mahi, red snapper, mackerel and yellowfin tuna. Spend a half-day fishing, bring home your catch and have a local restaurant cook it for $13.
Total for 2: $900-$1,050
Green season (May, June, August, September except during marathon, and October): $900
High season (Nov. 1-Dec. 19, Jan. 16-April 30 except Holy Week, and July: $975
Peak season (Dec. 20-Jan. 15, Holy Week (March 30-April 4, 2015) and during Tamarindo Beach Marathon (Sept. 12-13, 2015): $1,050
Call: Tico Tour and Travel, 2735-5719
• Turtle time: Shuttle to Pirate Bay from 7-11 p.m. to see large turtles, their eggs and their young onthe beach, $35
•Mangrove cruise: Take a two-hour boat ride into the mangroves north of Tamarindo and see crocodiles, monkeys,birds and other wildlife, $35
• Beach supertour: Spend a day seeing Sugar, Pochote, Flamingo, Brasilito, Conchal and Grande beaches, plus Pirate Bay; go snorkeling and barbecue on the beach, $85
• Ladies’ day off:Deep-tissue massage, nourishing facial, manicure and pedicure, $175; Swedish relaxing massage $50; foot massage with hot stones and coconut rub, $50; body scrubs, $60; aloe vera body wrap and facial mask, $65
• Surfing lessons or stand-up paddleboard lessons: 2 hours, $45 group, $85 private
• All-terrain vehicle (ATV) tours: 1 hour, $64.50 for 2; 2 hours, $105 for 2; 3 hours, $147 for 2
•Parasailing: $80 for 1 person, $90 for 2, $110 for 3; jet-skiing and fly-board also available
• And beyond: Take a plane, rent a car or board a bus to see more of Costa Rica: Arenal Volcano for hot springs and extreme adventure, Monteverde for cloud forest, Manuel Antonio for jungle and beach, Puerto Viejo for a Caribbean sunrise, Tortuguero for turtles, Corcovado for wildlife